Friday, November 20, 2009




Its friday!!! What do I cook for the dinner?? I had been running around in the kitchen, not sure on what to prepare for dinner. Usually we have chappathis for dinner rest of the 4 weekdays. Our friday dinner is something different and easy to cook recipes. Most of the time, I end up making pav bhaji as its my hubby's favorite. Today I didn't want to, as we had an aloo masal for the chappathi y'day. I sometime make pizza but I didn't have enough of the pizza sauce, my bad...:(. What do I make?? By now you would have guessed our dinner menu. I called it stromboli as that's what I aimed at making..:). As I had told you earlier, to all the non indian cuisine recipe that I try I add a bit of Indian flavor. But this one was more of an Indian one.

I have used quinoa rice for the filling. 



Here is the nutritional facts for wiki

This crop has become highly appreciated for its nutritional value, as its protein content is very high (12%–18%), making it a healthy choice for vegetarians and vegans. Unlike wheatrice (which are low in lysine), quinoa contains a balanced set of essential amino acids[4] It is a good source of dietary fiber and phosphorus and is high in magnesium and iron. Quinoa is gluten-free and considered easy to digest. or for humans, making it an unusually complete protein source.

I have tried various combination of recipes using quinoa. It has a nutty smell and taste. It can be offered to kids as its very easy to chew. Do try them it taste wonderful.

Lets jump off to the recipe...

Ingredients:

Click of just the vegetables
Pillsbury pizza crust - 1 roll(I used the thin crust)
Cottage cheese/Paneer - 1/4 cup
All vegetables that u have in the refrigerator - 2 cups(cut lengthwise)
I have used - Potato,carrot,Red Pepper, Asparagus, Scallion, Spinach, broccoli
Red Onions - 1 large
Tomato - 1 large
Ginger root - 1 inch length piece
Green Chillis - 2( add some more if you need some more spice)
quinoa rice - 4 tbsp
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Garam Masala - 1 tbsp
Black Salt - 1 tbsp
oil - 2 tbsp
Salt - for taste

Method:

 Pictures of the step by step procedure
1. Cut all the vegetables, onions, tomatos into thin long slices. Cook quinoa in the microwave or stovetop by adding 2 portions of water to one portion of quinoa.
2. Add oil in a pan and allow it to heat.
3. Add onions and fry till translucent. Add tomato and ginger root and fry for 2 to 3 min. At this stage do not add water or salt or even cover with a lid, as it becomes mushy.
4. Now add the turmeric powder, black salt and garam masala and saute for 2 to 3 min.
5. Add all the vegetables and salt and saute till the vegetables are half cooked.
6. If you are using asparagus, broccoli, spinach, etc add them now, as they don't need to be cooked for long.
7. Finally add the raw paneer and cooked quinoa and swich off the flame.
8. Spread the pizza crust in a buttered baking tray. Cut them into 4 parts or as u like.
9. Spread the filling on each of the split pieces leaving 1/2 inch on all 4 sides.

10. Close them tightly. Make horizontal slits on each of the log.



11. Preheat the oven to 400 degree for 5 min.
12. Bake the contents for 10 min. If you need a crispier stromboli add 5 more min on top. Also look at heating requirement of the pizza crust. It might vary depending on what brand you purchased.
13. Allow them to cool.
14. Make partitions on the slit and serve hot or warm with ketchup.





Note:
1. It becomes soggy when allowed to sit for a longer time. If that's the case, reheat for few more min before serving.
2. Quinoa doesn't acts as a binding agent. If need be and if you like, add some shredded cheese. I skipped this.
3. I used thin crust. You can also use classic pizza crust if you are preparing for kids.

Who would ever say a 'NO' when something nutritious and healthy like this is prepared at home. Would like to send this entry to 'Cook for yourself' event hosted by RV.


10 Comments:

  1. Pari Vasisht said...
    this looks so good, it's so easy if you have a ready dough in hand....
    Rohini said...
    I would not even to go the baking part, the filling itself sounds sooooo slurppppyyyy... Lovely dinner idea, simple yet uncompromising taste!! Keep rocking gal!
    Sushma Mallya said...
    sounds interesting,really a nice one,surely will try this as it looks very tempting and crispy
    RV @ Food for 7 Stages said...
    hey your version of strombolli looks great. The first time I had strombolli was a disaster... If I am right I ordered a veg stromboli from sbarro and it was completely filled with some leafy stuffing and marinara sauce.. oh man I couldn't even have a bite of it...
    But your version seems to be kind of indianized, would love to try this.. Thanks for sharing.
    Sh... said...
    Pari: U are right.If there isn't a pizza crust available in the market, I never would have dreamt of making this one..:)
    Rohini: There were some filling left over. Had this with Chappathi for dinner tonight. Its similar to kadai paneer right??!!
    Sushma: It sure is crispy if had immediately. Also I would recommend a classic pizza crust. Would def be awesome. Give it a shot. Something worth trying out.
    RV: I'm so sorry...:(. Usually in restaurants they also add a lot of cheese. Would be a treat for cheese lovers, definitely not for me. Try this, hope it wouldn't be as bad as the one u had..:)
    Kanchan said...
    Awesone innovative recipe ! First time heard about it :) As rohini said filling itself is yummy !!
    prasu said...
    lovely strombolli dear.......ur version is quite intresting.
    Unknown said...
    sounds great & looks delicious!! Thanks for great dinner idea..will try it soon.:D
    Unknown said...
    oops forget to answer ur question...The water won't spill if u cook uncovered and stir the rice in regular intervals (every 5 minutes).:)
    Rohini said...
    Buddy please collect your award from my blog! :)

Post a Comment