Monday, November 9, 2009

Dhal Rice


I'm a person who never likes to stay at home alone. If there is no one at home, I immediately pack my things and visit a friend or a relative nearby. Else, I invite them home. If neither of the above is happening, I try to call someone and spend the maximum time chatting over the phone. The other thing I don't like to do is cook for myself. Most of the time I end up eating the leftovers, as I always cook too much. Though I love to cook I usually don't like to cook only for myself. So the menu would always be something very easy to make at the same time filling too. One such recipe is ''Dhal Rice'' which I would definitely love to cook for myself.


I'm not sure if I had already written this. My hubby had stayed in Bombay for few years when he was a bachelor. He always says that life in Bombay had been the most memorable and enjoyable one in his whole life so far(though I wished he said he liked his married life the most..:)). You would know the kind of cooking these bachelors make. Hubby cant spend more than half hr in the kitchen. "Fill it, shut it and forget it" is his motto regarding cooking. One such recipe that he prepared while he was in Bombay was this 'Dhal Rice'. Inspite of this being one of his favorite, I didn't try this even once after marriage. I somehow felt that it wouldn't be delicious. One fine sunday morning I landed in making this and to my surprise it tasted awesome. I stole the recipe from one of the cookbook and tweaked it a bit.


Ingredients:

Raw Rice - 1 cup
Thoor Dhal - 1/2 cup
Peeled Small Onions - 1/2 cup
Curry Leaves - few counts
Peeled Onions - 4 nos
Pepper - 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Dry Red Chillis - 6 nos
Oil - 1 1/2 tbsp
ghee - 2 tbsp
turmeric powder - 1 tsp
salt - for taste
cut potato, beans, carrot, peas - 1/2 cup

Method

1. If the thoor dhal that you have is so dry like the one that I have, pressure cook separately and keep it aside else ignore this step.
2.. In the same pressure cooker add oil and fry garlic, add onions later and fry till translucent.
3. Add curry leaves, cumin seeds, crushed pepper and chillis.
4. Add the cut vegetables and saute for some more time.
5. Add 5 cups of water to the above ingredient and allow it to boil.
6. Add required salt and turmeric powder and the cooked or washed Thoor Dhal and rice.
7. After 2 min close the lid and switch off the flame after 3 whistles.
8. Add ghee and serve hot with any kind of raita and papad.











Would like to send this entry to 'Cook for yourself' event hosted by RV.

5 Comments:

  1. Sushma Mallya said...
    A very healthy and a nutritious rice with dal and all the veggies...looks delicious too & colourful..
    Unknown said...
    Healthy and yummy!!sounds gr8.
    Padhu Sankar said...
    Dal rice looks colourful and yummy.Do visit http://padhuskitchen.blogspot.com/
    kitchen queen said...
    Yum and simple and delicious dal rice.
    RV @ Food for 7 Stages said...
    Thanks for sending across this recipe. Amma makes this but in a different way.. This is one of our favorite holiday breakfast...

Post a Comment