Friday, September 11, 2009

B-E-A-N-S ADAI

"You are a Mami"
"She is a Mami"
"Vethakozhambhu"



Are you thinking y I'm writing all this. This is how my hubby calls me most of the time. That too mostly after a meal. Nowadays he sometimes says "Your mother is a Mami" to our lil angel too. Its becoz I most of the time like to have something Indian at home and I rarely go to any restaurants. My hubby is just the opposite. So I have to try different recipes at home so that he doesn't complain of not going to restaurants. A yr before I found '16 bean soup mix' in the grocery store and took a pack of them. I thought I would prepare a soup something to the one that we get in a Mexican restaurant. Though I'm not a great fan of soups I wanted to put a full stop to hubby's leg pulling. As we normally do I soaked the beans and went to bed. A sudden thought clicked in my mind. My mother used to say that we could add 'whole chick pea' to the adai to get a different flavor. So I thought why not use the 16 bean to make the adai and  'B-E-A-N-S ADAI' was born the next day. I bet, you would definitely love this adai. And now you will know why I'm a MAMI...:).


Here's the list of beans found in 16 bean soup mix(I took this from the 'CONTAINS' section of the bag)


Large Lima Beans
Small White Beans
Red Kidney Beans
Baby Lima Beans
Great Northern beans
Speckled Lima Beans
Black Beans
Green Baby Lima Beans
Pinto Beans
Cranberry Beans
Pink Beans
Whole Green Beans
Yellow Split Peas
Lentils
Green Split Peas
Small Red Beans
Navy Beans
Blackeye Peas


There are totally 18 kinds. This recipe is full of proteins and I'm sure you will enjoy a good meal too.


Here's the recipe of 'B-E-A-N-S ADAI'


Ingredients:


16 bean - 1 cup
Par Boiled Rice - 1 cup
Red Chillis - 5 nos
Green Chillis - 5 nos
Ginger - 1 inch size
large onion -  1 no(optional)
Curry Leaves - few leaves
Cilantro - 1/4 bunch
Asaefoetida - 4 pinches
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
salt - as required
oil - for frying


Method:


1. Soak the bean for 6 hrs and rice for 2 to 3 hrs
2. Drain the water and mix bean, rice, ginger, red chillies, green chillies, onion,turmeric powder(to get the adai color) and grind them to a coarse rawa consistency.
Caution: Never use a wet grinder. I have tried many times and it totally refused to move and I ended up transferring the mix to a blender and cleaning the wet grinder.
3. Add salt, asaefoetida, curry leaves and cilantro and mix them. Add water if needed and make the better similar to a dosa batter.





4. You can immediately prepare the adai or store the batter in refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.
5. For preparing the adai, heat the griddle and let it turn hot. 
6. Pour a liberal quantity of the batter and spread it in circular motion from the center to the outside. 
7. Make few holes on the adai.
6. Pour oil on the outside and also on the holes. Now simmer the flame.

7. Let it stay for sometime. With a flat laddle turn the adai to the other side. Let it stay for some more time.
8. Now remove the adai from the griddle.
9. Serve hot with 'onion sambhar', jaggery.



Sending this dish to Graziana,who is hosting this months edition of -Its a vegan word,an event started by Vyshali




1 Comment:

  1. seemie said...
    Thank you for sharing your recipe with It's a Vegan World.

    Graziana
    http://www.erbeincucina.it/

Post a Comment