Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Kuzhi Paniyaram


'Kuzhi Paniyaram' has been one of the favorite dish in our family. So, out of sentiment I thought I would make this the first recipe in my blog. I always make this as an evening tiffin becoz it is so easy to make and doesn't need any prior plan. Last week Friday, I had been busy in creating the blog. As you know for a first timer like me it was a difficult task. So I spent most of the afternoons in front of the computer. It was already 4 o' clock and my hubby is supposed to be at home at 5.30 PM as their office closed early on account of labor day weekend. Thought I would surprise him with a tiffin at 6 (normally we go straight for the dinner at 8). Ended up with one of our favorite 'Kuzhi Paniyaram'.


Ingredients:


Raw rice - 2 cups
Dehusked black whole gram - 1/2 cup
salt - 2 tsps
milk - 1/4 cup
cooking soda - 2 pinches
onions - 1(optional)

ginger - 1 inch length(optional)
green chillies - count of 2 (optional)
soaked bengal gram - 1 tbsp(optional)
oil - for frying
Yield:


40 small paniyarams


Method:


1. Soak the dhal and rice together for 3 hrs(other option pour the mixture in boiling water and allow it to boil for 5 min. Close it with a lid. Allow it to cool for 30 min).
2. Grind it to a smooth paste.
3.Add milk, soda, onions, ginger, chillies, soaked bengal gram and salt.
4. Dilute to a dosa consistency by adding enough water.
5. Heat the paniyaram pan in medium flame.
(Note: If you don't have the paniyaram pan you can use a deep curved pan)
6.Fill oil to about 1/4 of the paniyaram pan and allow it to heat.
 (Note: I usually add a drop of oil to the paniyaram pan and close the pan with a lid.)
7. Pour the batter using a small laddle(to about a size of a gooseberry).
8. Turn over when it is still light brown in color.
9. Place it in a absorbent paper so that the excess oil is absorbed.
10. Serve hot with coconut chutney or Onion Tomato chutney

2 Comments:

  1. Nithya said...
    Yummm yumm.. my all time favorite dish. Nice click.

    Hey dear, do take a look at my blog for an event announcement. I would be more than happy if you can participate. :) awaiting your entry.
    Pavithra Elangovan said...
    First time here looks so good and tempting recipes...Will be visiting soon.

Post a Comment