Wednesday, September 23, 2009
"Paal Kozhukattai" is one recipe that's been carried forward from generations in our family. My mom said that she learnt this from her grand mom. I prepared this on the first day of Navrathri. I'm waiting for my daughter to grow up so that I could pass this on to her. Here's the recipe for u.
Raw Rice - 3/4 cup
Jaggery - 1 cup powdered jaggery.(Add water and filter them if required).
grated coconut - 1/4 cup
water - as required
saffron - 4 or 5 strings
cardamom powder - 4 pinches
1. Soak the raw rice for 2 hrs.
2. Grind them to a smooth and thick paste.
3. Add 1/2 cup of jaggery and 1 1/2 cups of water to this ground paste and mix them well.
4. Pour this mixture in a broad pan(preferably nonstick) and cook this in medium flame until the mixture becomes thick. (to a consistency wherein u could make balls with the cooked mixture).
5.Allow this mixture to cool.
6. Now make small balls out of this dough mixture(1 cm dia)
7. In the same broad pan pour rest of the jaggery and add 2 1/2 cups of water, boil this in medium flame and allow the jaggery to melt. Filter the solution if need be.
8. Now add the balls that u had prepared in step 6.
9. Let this cook for sometime, till the dough balls becomes twice its original size.
10. Grind the coconut to a smooth paste by adding little water.
11. Pour this paste to the boiling mixture.
12. Let it cook for 5 more min.
13.Add cardamom and saffron.
14. U can serve this either hot or cold.