Tuesday, October 20, 2009


For those who had got it right a hurray!!!...Yes, I'm talking about deepavali. Had been bc for almost a week preparing sweets and savories, cleaning the house to make the place presentable for the guests, making calls to India and wishing them for diwali, though unable to hear the voice of the receiver(thanks to the crackers....). 

One of the festival that makes me long to be in India is this one. I have fond memories of my childhood deepavali celebration. Bursting the crackers(finding out who has made lot of crackers trashes - papers outside their home), distributing the sweets among neighbors and friends, visiting the temple twice, once with parents in the morning and with friends in the evening,  relishing the sweets and savories with friends in a common place, taking an afternoon nap, as we were made to wake up early in the morning. 


The next day, after diwali had been the most lousy day. Because of the crackers pollution, by now we would have developed cough, cold, etc. On top of this we had to get back to school...Had made me wonder why life hadn't been made easy by not going to school(yes, I had been a kid who resisted to go to school, esplly after a holiday..:)).


Past deepavali celebration, here in the US was just another day for us, as we had to go to work. But this time I decided to make this festival enlightening. We invited few guests on the eve of deepavali and we went for a dinner party on deepavali day. So it was a rejuvenating festival this year. I prepared couple of sweets in josh for many reasons one being, we had to entertain guests, other to write in the blog and thirdly to make the folks in India happy..:)


Here is the list of sweets and savories that I prepared for deepavali. I'm going to post the recipes as individual posts in the days to come.

Sweets

Kaju Katli
Bombay Khajas
Gulab Jamun - its the usual method so not going to write the recipe
Badam Halwa
Deepavali Marundhu(legyam)
Coconut Burfi


Savories:






P:S :Thanks to my daughter for giving me the time to edit the fotos and write this blog..:)

4 Comments:

  1. Unknown said...
    Nice to hear that u had great diwali celebrations..:)Waiting for the recipes!!
    Sushma Mallya said...
    Good to know u enjoyed diwali in US with family & friends,and thats the yummy list of sweets and savories...will be waiting for that..
    Rohini said...
    Yummy spread..Glad to hear that you had a great time! And you made me nostalgic about going to school after Diwali.. ;) Well written!
    kitchen queen said...
    you have a nice colourful blog.you can visit my blog and give ur comments.

Post a Comment