Monday, October 26, 2009


Aftermath of diwali was full of surprises for me. In the blog world, there were quite a number of  awards that were showered on me from my bloggie friends.
 Thank you so much friends. Your encouragement in the form of comments and awards has definitely awestruck me. Its surely motivating. Thanks a ton my dear fellow bloggers. So here comes the awards.

Vidya Rao at The Tastes of South India has passed the 'Kreativ Blogger' award. Thank You So much Vidya, this is my first award without an event tagged to it.






Here are the rules of the award:

* You must thank the person who has given you the award.
* Copy the logo and place it on your blog.
* Link to the person who has nominated you for the award.
* Name 7 things about yourself that people might find interesting.
* Nominate 7 other Kreativ Bloggers.
* Post links to the 7 blogs you nominate.
* Leave a comment in the nominated blogs to let them know they have been nominated.
 

7 things about me:


1. I'm addicted to blogs nowadays.
2. Gethan is my pen name. My actual name starts with the letter 'S'..:)
3. If I'm given a day for myself, I would like to sit idle.(running behind the kid entire day is too tiresome).
4. Like to listen to any kind of melody songs(Illayaraja 80's songs).
5. Books are my first friends. I would like to flip thru few pages before I go to bed.
6. I love the spring season here in the US. Makes me vibrant. Though fall is equally      beautiful, makes me fear about the approaching winter.
7. Come on...do I need to think this long to write 7 things about me.ok..may be, I have eyes, nose, etc...reminds me of my daughter who is starting to point to body parts..:)

I'm passing this tough task of writing about oneself to Divya, San, prasu, Ambika, RAKS KITCHEN,Shri. Tried to pick 7 of them who haven't received this award so far. Hope I'm right..:). Gals, Enjoy!!!

Rohini of 'Curries and Spices' has showered me with quite a lot of awards. Thank You dear!!




 






Would like to pass this on to vidhas,Divya Vikram,

Here is the recipe part:

Thought I would make 'Diwali Marundhu' or 'Diwali Legyum' a separate posts for 2 reasons. One being the Sweets posted was cluttered with too many recipes and the other considering the medicinal value a post had to be dedicated for this. I generally dont use the legyum powder that is available in the market becoz I dont get them here in the US and the other reason being that homemade mixture always tasted better for me.

If you have a stomach upset a tsp of this legyum would offer great relief. Thats why this is prepared on diwali day when one spends most of the time eating.

Ingredients:

Dry Ginger(Sukku) - 1 tbsp
Alpina galanga(Sitharathai) - 1 tbsp
Long Pepper(kandathippili) - 1 tbsp
round Pepper(Milagu) - 1tbsp
nutmeg flower(Omam )
Jaggery powder - 4 tbsp
gingelly oil - 1 tbsp
ghee - 1tbsp
honey - 1 tbsp

Method:

1. Soak dry ginger, alpina galanga, long pepper, round pepper, nutmeg flower in hot water for 8 to 12 hrs.

2. Crush them to small pieces using hand or knife(this is to make grinding easy)
3. Grind them to a smooth paste using a bender. Add enough water to make grinding easy.
4. Extract the juice and repeat the grinding with the residue. Repeat till u are sure the residue hasn't got any juice in it.
5. Cook them in low flame till it becomes thick like a pancake batter.
6. Add jaggery and cook for 10 more min.
7. Add gingelly oil and cook for some more time.
8. Switch off the flame and top it with ghee and honey and do a final mix. 
9. Stays good for more than 2 months if refrigerated.



This Legyum is paricipating in Sweet Series event hosted by Sireesha


6 Comments:

  1. Sushma Mallya said...
    Thats a nice home made remedy for stomach ache..and congraz on all your awards gethan..hope u get lots more of it in future...
    Pari Vasisht said...
    Congrats Gethan on all the awards.
    Unknown said...
    You have a nice blog. Congrats on the award and thanks for sharing it with me!
    Kanchan said...
    Hey Gethan (S) ;)...
    Congrats on your awards.. and nice to know about you !!
    About the recipe , quite new to me will surely give it a try !
    Unknown said...
    Congraz on all ur awards,nice reading abt u... Interesting recipe!!!
    vidhas said...
    Everybody needs aftr Diwlai, Its really good medicine. Nice to know about you. congrats on your awards and thanks for thinking me too.

Post a Comment