Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Tomato Coconut Rice

I went through all my posts and to my surprise found that there weren't any post related to rice. "How did I forget to post about the staple food rice?" was the question that arose to me. After creating the blog I nowadays click what ever I cook. So was looking at the clicks that I had taken and found the foto of the tomato coconut rice that I made 11 Sep 2009. When the whole country was mourning, I had prepared this rice and have also taken some effort to decorate it. Too bad ..:(. My mom prepares this often during my school days. This had been my 'biriyani' during those days. Not going to trouble you all any further, so here's the recipe of 'Tomato Coconut Rice' from my mom.



Ingredients:


Raw rice or basmathi rice - 1 cup
Tomato - 4
Large Onions - 2
green peas - 1/4 cup
Green Chillis - 8
Ginger root - 2 inches
coconut - 1 tbsp
coriander leaves - 1/2 cup (washed and finely cut)
mustard - 1 tsp
channa dhal - 1 tbsp
water - as required
sat - for taste
oil - 4 tbsps


Method:


1. Wash and cook the rice. Spread the cooked rice on a plate and sprinkle some oil on top of it. Allow it cool. Gently mix the oil with the rice.
2. Cut the tomatoes into fine pieces and onion lengthwise into thin pieces.
3. Heat oil in a large pan. Add mustard, let it splutter. Now add channa dhal and fry till golden brown. 
4. Now add cut onions  and fry till translucent.
5. Add tomatoes and saute for sometime.
6. Add salt to the mixture and close the lid of the pan. Simmer the flame.
7. Now grind coconut, chillis, ginger and coriander leaves together to a smooth paste. Add water if required.
8. Pour this to the onion tomato paste that is on the pan.
9. Add peas and cook them for some more time till the raw smell of coconut has gone.
10. Now add rice to this mixture. Add salt if required and mix them together.
11. Add ghee at the end for extra flavor.
12. Simmer the flame and cook this for 5 more min with lid closed.
13. Serve this with any kind of raita and potato chips.





Note: I tried to make a rose. Ended up with a rose bud and few petals out of those tomatoes...hahahaaa..:)



5 Comments:

  1. Unknown said...
    Looks awesome nd nicely garnished!! U have a fabulous space with wonderful recipes!!!see you often... :)
    Raje said...
    Great presentation! first time here, you have a lovely space. Peep into mine when you have a chance!
    Pari Vasisht said...
    Hi Gethan, first time here. Congrats on your win. The rice has a very catchy colour, and very well garnished.Do drop by, would love to hear from you.
    Dhanya Ganesh said...
    First time here. You have a lovely blog. Coconut tomato rice looks delicious. Do stop by my space when u get some time:).
    Chats the Comfy Cook said...
    I think your rose is great. I wish I could do as well.

Post a Comment